Likely we'll be seeing allergy season sooner than later this year. You can thank this year's super El Nino for that. Here are some interesting facts about environmental allergies as published by WebMD based on data from studies done in the USA.
- 1 in 5 - the number of people who have either allergy or asthma symptoms.
- 55% - percentage of the population that tests positive for one or more allergen.
- 5th - the rank of allergies among leading chronic illnesses.
- 33% - odds that a child with one allergic parent will develop allergies.
- 70% - odds that a child with 2 allergic parents will develop allergies.
- 4 - the number of weeks that the ragweed pollen season has increased over the last decade likely due to global warming.
- 90% - percentage of your lives that we spend indoors.
Allergy season is coming. Next week I will write about the top environmental allergies that set us off every year...and the week after that, what we can do about them.